Looking to get Autism diagnosis?

My husband grew up in a small village with not much access to medical assessments. He is 45 years old now and wondering if can get a developmental assessment.

He would like to know if he may be autistic or any cognitive delays as he has a hard time with memory and numbers all his life.

Family doctor says its possible but will not do a referral as it is not a need for anything . He just really feels he wants to know not wonder. Is there anywhere he can ask for this? For free.



9 Responses

  1. Kim Schindel Kim Schindel says:

    Your family doctor should be able to refer you to a specialist.

  2. You can go to any medicentre and get a referral. I’m not sure where you would go though.

  3. Contact the Edmonton autism society. They could help point you in the right direction.

  4. Maja Black Maja Black says:

    Okay, there is a building downtown called the 108 street building , mainly if he has an addiction as well, if he doesn’t don’t use their services, they will treat him like a closet addict (worse than an addict). If he does, they do mental rehab for people who self medicate ……. If not get him to the university of Alberta, they daily have a walk in clinic. He will fill out an assessment form, see a psychiatrist that day. The psychiatrist will talk to him, will refer him to any specific resources he may need. Although he may need to wait for some of the resources, he will start higher up the waiting list because he was referred by an actual psychiatrist, not a general practitioner

  5. Adele Hammer Adele Hammer says:

    Addiction and mental health clinic

  6. Try these though autism is a neurological disorder that is usually doesn’t depict poor memory and number confusion as main signs. May want to do a little research. It could be a number of conditions or disorders that may explain those two difficulties.
    Medicenter is usually a very easy way to get referrals though.

  7. Contact the U of A psycho-educational Clinic. Not sure if they still do this but students under supervision of psychologists will test people for free during certain times of the year. There would be a wait period depending on how booked up they get.

  8. Lisa Hoff Lisa Hoff says:

    Try the Oliver PCN (Primary Care Network). They were involved with connecting clients to services, not sure if it’s only youth, but it would be worthwhile to inquire… was a multidisciplinary approach with nurses, social workers to help coordinate appropriate referrals. Alberta Mental Health Association may also have suggestions? Good luck!


Join the Discussion!